Groups Restrict Categories

Groups Restrict Categories features access restrictions for categories, tags and other WordPress taxonomies, including support for custom post types and taxonomies.

This extension based on Groups is useful if you want to restrict access to whole categories and their related posts. Beyond categories, it also allows to control access to other taxonomies like tags or those that are provided by third-party extensions in the form of custom post types and taxonomies. Menu

If you are using the popular WooCommerce, you can use this extension to restrict access to products by Product Categories or Product Tags. This can be useful if you have certain products which only specific customer groups should be able to purchase, like exclusive products and packages for wholesale and distributors.

Documentation

Read more about how this plugin is used in the Documentation.

Download

This premium extension is available in the Shop.

Screenshots

New access restriction options

Edit Category

Enabling access restrictions by taxonomy

Taxonomies

161 Responses to Groups Restrict Categories

1. Jerome C. September 20, 2016 at 10:35 pm #

Hello,

I am using Groups and Groups Restrict Categories to restrict access to user groups through categories on our Intranet.

It works well, for the most part. For example, users in the Project Manager group are unable to see posts with the Sales category, while users in the Sales Manager group can. So far so good.

The problem is that if a Project Manager happens to search for an expression that is found in the title of a post assigned to the Sales category, then that post’s title is displayed in the search results page, even though that user should not have access to it. Only the title is displayed; the excerpt is not. If that Project Manager clicks on the title (it has a hyperlink to the post), then they reach the “Not found page”, which is good.

Note:
    Our search results page normally displays the Title and the Excerpt of the posts found, as long as the user has access to them.

My guess is that there is a function somewhere that may override the Groups Restrict Categories “title” filter somehow. But I haven’t been able to find anything like that so far.

I wonder if you can give me some pointers on how to find out why restricted post titles can be searched by a user who does not belong to the correct group and who does not have the correct read access associated to the post’s category either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Kento December 22, 2016 at 8:04 am #

Hi Jerome,

Is it possible that you have a customized search which bypasses the way posts are obtained (e.g. directly polls the database)? Do you use any particular search plugin? Actually, if you’d like to give it a try, you could also install our Search Live plugin and test its widget to see if these posts show up as well.

Please let me know if that helps.

2. Jerome C. November 1, 2016 at 9:41 pm #

Hello,

I posted a request here some time ago but never got a reply.

Basically, there is an issue where the title of a restricted post is displayed in the search results, even if the user does not have access permission the the post’s category. When the user clicks on the result, they are redirected to the Not Found page.

Since my initial request, I have found that the error might be caused by a Search plugin. At the time, I was using Relevanssi. Once Relevanssi was disabled, Groups Restrict Categories started behaving as it should: the restricted posts’ titles were no longer showing up in the Search results page.

I also tried using Ajax Search Lite and the same problem occurred.

Is this a bug in GRC? If not, would you be able to recommend another search plugin that will work with GRC and not display the title of restricted posts?

Thanks in advance!

• antonio November 3, 2016 at 7:56 am #

Hi Jerome,
      Have you try our Search Live plugin ?
      Kind Regards,
      Antonio B.

3. snecz December 13, 2016 at 8:23 am #

I try to find a solution for this functionality my WooCommerce shop: Some of products can be watched in the shop but can ONLY be purchased when somebody buy at least one other product.

So for example I have: Category A: Product A1, Product A2, Product A3 Category B: Product B1, Product B2, Product B3

All products have prices and are not gifts.

I want to: Products that can be be sold with no conditions: Product A1, Product A2 Products that can be sold ONLY when Product A1 or/and Product A2 is purchased: Product A3, Product B1, Product B2, Product B3

There’re Product Bundles And Chained Products plugins but I think both of them lack of something. Is Groups Restrict Categories suitable for this task?

• antonio December 20, 2016 at 9:40 am #

Hi snecz,
      sorry, the plugin hasn’t this functionality.
      Kind Regards,
      Antonio B.

4. Ben February 11, 2017 at 3:39 pm #

Hi, I’m wondering if your plugin can do the following:

One User – member of 2 groups – A and B
    Post with 2 categories X and Y

Group A allows read access to category X
    Group B allows read access to category Y

Can your plugin enforce BOTH? So that the post with X and Y categories can only be viewed by a user with BOTH access, and not just one?

• antonio February 13, 2017 at 11:32 am #

Hi Ben,
      Yes, you can do it with this plugin.
      Kind Regards,