404 error for post associated with multiple categories

Hi team,

Our users are facing issues when accessing posts that have more than 1 category and they get 404 error.
We have setup categories permissions based on Groups. Each of our category is associated with different groups.

I have a post that is in both Category 1 and Category 2 associated with Group 1 and Group 2 respectively. When a user that is in Group 1 access the test post, they get error.

Can you please let us know what should we do to make this happen.

Thanks

I have set the Catagory B to give read permissions to users in Group X.

However, despite having read access to Catagory B my user in group X can’t access the product.

How do I get this to honor permission across multiple categories regardless of which is set as primary?

6 Responses to 404 error for post associated with multiple categories

1. George August 4, 2023 at 6:03 pm #

Hey Francis,

Yes of course. Your refund has been processed and you should see the charge credited to your CC statement within the next days.

Kind regards,
    George

2. Francis McKenna August 3, 2023 at 11:35 am #

Hi George,
    Thanks for your reply.
    We don’t think the plugin meets our requirements without custom development. I’ve requested my company buy the plugin for additional analysis which they’ve done.

As I bought the plugin personally, can I please for a refund?
    Order #33250

Thanks
    Francis

3. George August 2, 2023 at 8:33 pm #

Hi Francis,

You’re welcome!

This would be possible only if you create a new version of the plugin and maintain it, but I don’t think you should. All this required effort, includes more workload than the solution I’ve recommended.

What you are actually describing here, is first restrict some products by two different groups and then allow your users to access it only by one of these groups. This in turn makes one of the two restrictions pointless from my point of view.
    Also, I should rephrase my previous comment because I didn’t express myself properly. It’s because you are using two restricted taxonomies for one product, that the users need to be members in each of these groups to access that product.

Would you mind sharing some more details on your products and also why you really have to keep products in more than one categories? What is the proportion of the dual-category products compared to your total amount of products?

I’m asking this because you can easily create new groups, you can even use descriptions to clarify their purpose and adding users to these groups can be done in bulk through Users > All Users.

Kind regards,
    George

• Francis McKenna August 3, 2023 at 11:35 am #

Hi George,
      Thanks for your reply.
      We don’t think the plugin meets our requirements without custom development. I’ve requested my company buy the plugin for additional analysis which they’ve done.

As I bought the plugin personally, can I please for a refund?
      Order #33250

Thanks
      Francis

4. Francis McKenna August 2, 2023 at 6:15 am #

Hi George,

Thanks for your quick response.
    I am afraid creating a third group will not help us. We have more than 35 categories and more than 1000 groups. It will be really difficult for us to create, manage and track these many Groups.

Can you let us know if and how we can update the plugin to achieve this?

Thanks

5. George August 1, 2023 at 11:42 am #

Hi Francis,

Welcome to our support forum and many thanks for using Groups plugin as your content restriction tool.

In your case, the post is restricted by two different groups. As you can imagine, a user will have access only if is a member of both groups. In general with Groups, users have access to content only if they are members of all groups restricting that content.

What you can do for the content that should be organised in two or more categories, is to create a third group, restrict your categories by this group and finally make the privileged users, members on this special group.

As for the primary category, this is used as the URL parameter when generating the link to this category, there is no other actual usage.

Kind regards,
    George

We use cookies to optimize your experience on our site and assume you're OK with that if you stay.
OK, hide this message.

Affiliates · Contact · Jobs · Terms & Conditions · Privacy Policy · Documentation · Downloads · Useful Plugins · My Account