Decent Comments

Decent Comments shows what people say.

If you want to show comments along with their author’s avatars and an excerpt of their comment, then this is the right plugin for you.

And it’s not limited to just a widget showing recent comments: The plugin provides configurable widgets, shortcodes and an API to display comments in sensible ways, including author avatars, links, comment excerpts …

Anywhere you place comments, by means of a widget, a shortcode or an API call, you can:

• Show an excerpt or the full comment. You can choose to not show the comment as well.
  • Determine the number of words shown for excerpts.
  • Set your kind of ellipsis.
  • Set the number of comments to show.
  • Show the author’s avatar and determine it’s size.
  • Sort by author email, author URL, content (what’s said in the comment), date, karma or post … in ascending or descending order.
  • Show comments for the current post or for a specific post.
  • Show comments for posts in specific categories, for specific tags, … (more precisely: the ability to show comments from posts related to one or more terms in a chosen taxonomy).
  • and more …

Feedback is welcome! If you need help, have problems, want to leave feedback or want to provide constructive criticism, please leave a comment.

Please try to solve problems before you rate this plugin or say it doesn’t work. There goes a lot of work into providing you with free quality plugins! Please appreciate that and help with your feedback. Thanks!

Documentation

The documentation is available on the Decent Comments documentation pages.

288 Responses to Decent Comments

1. Monica February 4, 2018 at 4:39 pm #

I have different roles on my site, and only one role can see all comments. Will it filter out comments based on role? Can it be customized to do that? Thanks!

• antonio February 5, 2018 at 9:03 am #

Hi Monica,
      There isn’t a filter based on roles, but you could add all users of this role, to a specific group, and restrict the comments to this group.
      I will try to help you, how do you add the users to the role? When registering? Manually?
      Kind Regards,
      Antonio B.

2. Maarten February 5, 2018 at 10:46 am #

Posting the same question again, as I do not see my question in this thread:

I read ‘Mr. blabla’ on (Page name). Is there a way to translate the word ‘on’ as this should be ‘in’ in Dutch?
    Or do I have to make .mo/po files etc.?

• antonio February 6, 2018 at 4:22 pm #

Hi Maarten,
      In the plugin you have a ‘languages’ folder where you have a .po file that you can use to create the dutch translation. Sorry, we don’t have dutch translation.
      If you send it to us when you have the translation, we will add it to the repository.
      Kind Regards,
      Antonio B.

3. Monica February 5, 2018 at 1:58 pm #

One of the roles is added manually while the other is automated during registration. So, there is a default role. Anyone can register and get to level 1 (the least amount of privileges, who shouldn’t see all comments) and I have to manually add people to level 2 (they can see all comments). Thanks for your help, Antonio.

• antonio February 6, 2018 at 4:05 pm #

Hi Monica,
      Related to the registration process, I think this plugin can help you ( adds a user to a group based on role, a group named after the role is created automatically if needed ). Or this code, in this case, you need to add this code in your functions.php child theme file, changing ‘Premium’ for your group name.
      The changes of roles manually, you can change the user group from the Users->All users section (above the table you have an easy option)
      Kind Regards,
      Antonio B.

4. Tobias February 9, 2018 at 9:45 am #

Hello Antonio,

thanks for the wow plugin.
    a) Maybe include to shift the answer to comments a bit to the right. So it is more than a conversation. like above.
    b) alternate the background color like above.

This would be very nice.

• Tobias February 9, 2018 at 9:58 am #

c) i miss the date of the comments, like above.

• antonio February 9, 2018 at 3:49 pm #

Hi Tobias,
        The widget in the actual version includes an ‘Show date’ option. The shortcode version includes an “show_date” param. Sorry, we are improving the documentation.
        Kind Regards,
        Antonio B.

• antonio February 9, 2018 at 3:45 pm #

Hi Tobias,
      Thank you very much for the suggestions.We will review them.
      Kind Regards,
      Antonio B.

5. scr00chy February 17, 2018 at 11:50 pm #

Hi, I’d like to provide Czech translation for your plugin. Could you email me the file(s) that I could translate?

• antonio February 19, 2018 at 4:49 pm #

Hi scr00chy,
      Sure, in the ‘languages’ folder in the plugin you have a decent-comments.pot file that you can use with poedit.
      When you have the files please send them to me antonio[at]itthinx[dot]com
      Thank you very much for the contribution !!
      Kind regards,
      Antonio B.

6. scr00chy February 17, 2018 at 11:52 pm #

Also, would it be possible to add an option to shorten post titles to a certain number of characters, similarly to how you can limit the comment excerpt length?

• antonio February 19, 2018 at 4:59 pm #

Hi,
      You can truncate the widget title using the ‘widget_title’ filter, but this will affect to all widgets.
      Also you could use css to truncate the text, this post can help you.
      Kind Regards,
      Antonio B.

• Petr February 19, 2018 at 5:28 pm #

Hi Antonio,
        thanks for the reply. I don’t think this helps me, though. I’m talkin about truncating just the “comment-link” segment because my post titles are often long so they take up a lot of space when I make a list of recent comments for example: https://imgur.com/888AkkF

But maybe I just don’t know how to apply the CSS correctly, or I’m misunderstanding.

Anyway, I’ll try to send you the Czech translation as soon as I can.

• antonio February 20, 2018 at 9:18 am #

Hi Petr,
          please give me your url, I will try to solve it by css.
          Kind Regards,
          Antonio B.

• Petr February 20, 2018 at 11:45 am #

It’s http://www.elonx.cz (specifically the recent comments widget in the sidebar)

• antonio February 21, 2018 at 11:08 am #

Thanks,
              Please try with this:
              .decent-comments .comment {
              overflow: hidden;
              text-overflow: ellipsis;
              }
              .decent-comments .comment .comment-link {
              white-space: nowrap;
              }

Kind Regards,
              Antonio B.

• Petr February 21, 2018 at 5:48 pm #

Hi, thanks for the code. The result is okayish on Chrome (not perfect though, due to this resulting in the user name being on a separate line which wastes space) but the truncation works. Problem is that on Firefox it doesn’t display correctly – longer user names get broken up into two lines for some reason (even though the line is otherwise mostly empty). But don’t worry about it too much. The untruncated links aren’t the end of the world, although I’d still prefer an option in the plugin itself that would do the link truncating. 馃檪

Keep up the good work and thanks for the help!

7. Randy February 22, 2018 at 11:40 pm #

Hi, Great plugin!!!. Is there any way to add the comments star ratings? something like – show_star_rating=”true” ???

• antonio March 16, 2018 at 9:52 am #

Hi Randy,
      Sorry the plugin doesn’t support rating. If you are using another plugin to add ratings to comments, you can use the ‘decent_comments_comment_output’ filter for add code in every comment content.
      Kind Regards,
      Antonio B.

8. Ben S. March 26, 2018 at 10:35 pm #

Is there a way to only show one comment per original post? I would like to make sure a single post with a bunch of comments doesn’t dominate the list of recent comments.

Thanks!
    Ben

• antonio March 27, 2018 at 6:50 am #

Hi Ben,
      Sorry there isn’t this option. You can use the ‘decent_comments_comments_output’ filter. In this code you have an example of use where the comments order is changed, you can use this code as reference for filter the comments.
      You need to change the shuffle( $comments ); instruction.
      Kind Regards,